Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Button Exchange

Welcome to the forums pages of Screw Big Oil. This is your chance to discuss politics, high gas prices, or current events.

The Best Way to Improve Education

Go down

The Best Way to Improve Education Empty The Best Way to Improve Education

Post  Southern Lady on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:48 pm

One of the easiest and least expensive way to improve education in the public schools is for parental involvement. My husband teaches school and finds it amazing how many parents are clueless as to the progress of their child dispite numerous notes and letters home , requests for conferences only for the parent not to show up. Parents that are active in their child's education have better performing student.

Southern Lady
High School
High School

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-08-20

View user profile http://www.christianpoliticalview.com

Back to top Go down

The Best Way to Improve Education Empty Re: The Best Way to Improve Education

Post  nazman on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:33 am

I couldn't agree with you more! Very Happy I think there is quite the lack of parental responisibilty in education and in their lives. One thing that bothers me is my kids require an appointment to talk to a teacher or visit. What ever happened to the surprise drop in? My mom would sit in class for a few... see what I was doing... and the teacher. cyclops As I look back on life it was effective... although horrifying as a child. Now I would be thrown in jail for doing the same thing here. I think part of it is the systems fault, and of course many parents fault. I urge people out there with kids to get involved bounce . They grow up faster than we think.
nazman
nazman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://screwbigoil.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Southern Lady on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:53 pm

It isn't so much the fault of the school system, laws have changed. No one can just walk onto schools grounds unannounced, security is one of the reasons.
However, the lack of interest by some parents is just sad. Some even claim that they don't know how help their child with first grade level addition, have no idea how to read their child's second grade story, more excuses with more excuses. Their child refuses to do any classwork, yet the parent still expects the child to be given good grades. To make matters worse, the administration puts pressure on the teacher to pass the failing student on.

Southern Lady
High School
High School

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-08-20

View user profile http://www.christianpoliticalview.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shevot on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:04 pm

Southern Lady wrote:One of the easiest and least expensive way to improve education in the public schools is for parental involvement. My husband teaches school and finds it amazing how many parents are clueless as to the progress of their child dispite numerous notes and letters home , requests for conferences only for the parent not to show up. Parents that are active in their child's education have better performing student.
I agree Southern Lady. Yes we do have a problem with the public education system here but an easy answer is to get involved. I can imagine that it is easier said than done for a single parent or parents working long hours, but many of us can do more. Teachers are not babysitters, they are there to educate. I think a lot of people treat school like a daycare to just drop the kids off and forget about everything else.

I volunteer at my children's school not because I just love being around kids or have nothing better to do Razz , but because I want to have a presence there and a relationship with the school and teachers. Of course I'm a stay at home mom so it is easier for me to give my time, but just calling the teacher periodically, going to open houses, eating lunch at the school a few times a year, makes a big difference in a child's education. The fact that the teachers (and my kids for that matter) know that I am on top of things means that my kids are going to get the best public education that's possible. I find that the teachers are more likely to call you at home or send you a note if they know you are responsive and active. That nips things in the bud before it has a chance to get out of control. Little known secret, with you being active, the school gets to know you and your kids better and that could mean someone is always looking out for your child making sure they are staying in check. Its like having another mom there at all times. Too bad for my kids. They'll thank me one day.

Doesn't mean everything will be perfect, my 5 year old has behavioral issues due to physical problems he was born with that makes him irritable. He had a fight yesterday and is suspended from school today. This is his first year of grade school and he still has adjustments to make. This year because of him I am going to be at the school at least 3 days a week.
shevot
shevot
High School
High School

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-17

View user profile http://www.thechatterroom.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down